Complete refurbishment and extension of an end of terrace family house dating from 1905. Unmodernized since the 1950s, the corner house on Highlever Road was in a state of decay when Gluckman Smith were first engaged. Significant water damage and decades of neglect were halted and renovations begun. Works included the addition of a carefully proportioned side extension and occupation of the roof void, to consolidate the house into a modern family home.
Care was taken to preserve valuable architectural details where possible. “Squeeze” profile copies of original cornices were taken to replace damaged and missing cornice sections with exact replicas; the side extension was constructed from reclaimed imperial soft red rubber bricks to match the existing house and original tiling uncovered and restored.
Sections of ceiling were removed in the first floor bedrooms to create bright double height spaces lined with tongue and groove timber.